Hardware Specs Thread

(Alkaline Thunder) #1

Go ahead and post your PC specs here. I’ll start with mine.

I’m not entirely sure what my case is, I’ve had it for a few years now and I’ve forgotten what it’s called. One of the sidepanels has a glass window on it allowing me to see the hardware inside my system. The front panel has 2 USB ports, a headphone jack and a microphone jack, with the Power and Reset buttons directly above and front ventilation below. The front vent has a bright blue light inside it, indicating power, but I’m not too sure what it’s shaped like. There is also room for 3 different optical or floppy drives at once, though I only use one slot for a DVD burner.

Inside, I have my famous AMD A10-7700K APU clocked at 3.4GHz, with onboard AMD Radeon R7 graphics. I don’t use the onboard graphics because I also have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti with 4GB VRAM inside. For RAM, I have 8GB DDR3, and the motherboard is some Gigabyte one whose model I forget.

For storage, I have a 250GB SSD which I use as my primary boot drive, and a 1TB hard drive which I use for long-term file storage, backups, archival, etc. In fact, I still have most of the ShiftOS 1.x releases on that thing and I haven’t worked on ShiftOS in what seems like forever. (Nor do I have plans to.)

For cooling, I have the Cooler Master Hyper-D92 dual-fan air cooler. I’ve only had this cooler for a few months, and for the few years prior to me getting it, I ran my system with the stock AMD cooler that came with my APU. Bad idea.

The stock cooler was extremely loud, and a few of my temperature sensors were bad. Couple this with the fact that Canadian summers are getting almost as bad as Australian ones, and Donald Trump still likes to call us “Snow Mexicans” despite our winters actually getting shorter, it makes for a very unpleasant experience for both me sitting in the development environment and others sitting in the living room (on an entirely different floor, mind you) as they hear constant vibrations coming from my room, and I hear what I can only describe as a Bowing 747 taking off in my room as I sit at the desktop. Not fun.

But the Cooler Master fan has stopped that completely. It’s rare that my computer ever gets louder than a 3rd gen fat-model PS3 running idle, and that’s even when my PC is running under max load.

Man, I talk a lot about this thing. I should become a salesman for it lol.

(Tobias SN) #2

Everyone will hate me for this.

I have a generic 21.5 inch iMac, with a combined headphone and microphone jack (Common thing, I hate it), an SD card slot, 4 USB 3 ports, 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, and an Ethernet port.

It has a 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5-7360U that can Turbo Boost up to 3.6Ghz. It has integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 with 1536 MB video RAM (I am pretty sure that it just uses main RAM, and 1536 MB is the limit). It’s not the most glorious graphics, but it works well for what I use it for. i have 8 GB RAM, split into 2 DDR4 banks, each running at 2133Mhz.

For storage, I have a 1 TB hard drive. That’s it.

For cooling, I have a fan. Air goes out the back of the computer, right into the stand. It’s usually very quiet, even in this heat wave, and definitely something you could sleep next to (Not that it’s something you should do).

It has a 1080p screen with 30-bit color, connected internally through DisplayPort (Yay DisplayPort), and a built-in webcam (Dunno the resolution, probably 640 x 480 or something). Also there’s a speaker and a microphone, both stereo.

No disc drive :frowning:

(Anna Mey) #3

As I use several computers to effectively make my bedroom Windows Lollapaloza, I will post the specifications of the many computers I have acquired over my years of life that I use to do various things.

My main PC is custom built. I built it this June. It runs on the Kaby Lake architecture and I plan to eventually upgrade to an Ice Lake i3 or i5 when the time comes.
It has an Intel Pentium G4560 processor running at 3.3ghz (stock).
The RAM is 8 gigabytes of some generic OEM DDR4-2133mhz
The motherboard is an MSI H110M Gaming from 2017 with Kaby Lake support. Depending on Ice Lake, this may change.
I use a GeForce GTX 750 Ti from ASUS. It’s not that good, and an 1150 (or 2050, whatever Nvidia decides to name their new cards) will probably be my next card.
The storage device is a 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda drive at 750gb. It was 10 bucks used. I plan to upgrade to a small SSD soon.
My power supply is a 450w unit from Insignia. Since my other one broke, I had to buy this one quick as this is my only functional PC currently.

My Windows laptop is a piece of shit. I’ll talk about it anyway.

It’s an Acer Aspire E5-573G. The model I have is from 2015 with an Intel Core i5-5200u. Despite Intel’s intentions, this thing runs hotter than the Ohio summers. It gets hot here in American Canada.
It has 8 gigabytes of DDR3 ram, running at the blazing fast 800 mhz. (kill me)
1tb of storage is supplied by the Seagate Barracuda 2.5" drive (we like seagate, they’re cheap!)
The supply of power for this laptop is… a 60w battery that gets drained in 45 minutes at max performance
This laptop also boasts the GeForce 940m (not MX) dedicated graphics chip. It is about on par with the Intel Onboard graphics from modern generations (see Iris Pro)

My MacBook is the last ever polycarbonite one made (unibody). It’s from 2010.

For my peripherals, I use a Logitech G502 mouse.
I also use a Chinese keyboard. It’s called the “Mechanical Eagle Z-88 Super Scholar”. I was also apparently shipped with Green Switches, even though they are colored blue.
My monitor is the Acer G237HL. It also has some crude blue-light filtering, but I plan to upgrade to a better option from BenQ.

That’s all of my gear.

(Declan Hoare) #4

its a macbook. Nuff Said. Just Works. i love running electron Apps on it.

(Alkaline Thunder) #5

Oh. Speaking of BenQ… One of my three monitors is a BenQ GW2270. It has excellent black levels to the point where I once thought it was OLED.

Although it only has standard VGA and DVI-D inputs, the GW2270H is the same monitor but with HDMI. I plan to get that one day to replace one of my shitty TVs.

(Logan Lowe) #6

Well, I’m gonna have to make my first post somewhere - might as well be here.

My rig has gone through quite a few changes over the years, but I’m really happy with it. I’m running an Intel Core i5-6500 quad-core @ 3.2GHz, which does work though I do get lower performance than I’d like. I recently replaced my motherboard due to a hardware failure with my old Gigabyte motherboard, so I settled with an MSI B250I Gaming Pro AC.

Next to the CPU, I’ve got 2 sticks of HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz. Today, 16GB is coming quite a bit more common, but it’s still nice.

Anyway, It’s a pretty nice board for the approximately 95 dollars I had to spend to buy it after spending hours attempting to move my old board into my new case; A Fractal Design Node 202.

I love this case. Its extremely compact footprint allows me to take my case anywhere, while still giving me enough room to fit a Cryorig C7 on top of my CPU.

I also managed to fit in a GeForce GTX 960 SSC. It’s a dual fan card, but still has quite a bit of breathing room.

To power all of that, a Fractal Design 450 or something watt PSU. It came with the case. I don’t really trust it. Custom cable sleeving coming soon.

To top all of that off, I’ve got an ADATA XPG SX8000 480GB M.2 PCI-E SSD. It’s blazing fast and gets Windows 7 booted in about 6 seconds. With that, a 1TB 5400PRM 2.5" drive for game storage.

tl;dr i5-6500, 16gb ddr4 2133mhz, msi b250i gaming pro ac, gtx 960 ssc, 450w psu, 480gb ssd, 1tb hdd, kthxbai

Bit of a necropost, but I have an i7-8700 (was a 6700k but that died), Asus Z370-Prime motherboard, MSI Gaming X GTX 1060, 16 GB of DDR4, a 1 TB HDD and another 2TB HDD, and a 500w EVGA motherboard.

(Alkaline Thunder) #8

The computer I use in the lab at college has a 12-core Xeon in it and a GTX 970. Past that, I’m not sure.